Why is There Sewage Coming Up Through the Bathtub
October 25, 2021
You certainly weren’t expecting to see sewage coming up through your bathtub drain, although you probably smelled it first and realized something was wrong. Most often this type of backup is caused by a clog in the main sewer line.
Warning Signs of a Blocked Sewer Line:
- Gurgling drains – if you hear a percolating noise coming from your bathtub or toilet
- Slow and low – Water draining slowly can be a warning sign of sewer line problems.
- Migrating Water – Laundry water is backing up into other pipes or coming up through the kitchen sink is an early sign of sewer line backup.
- Common Clogs – Bathtub or household drains clogging frequently are a sign of sewer line obstruction.
How to Fix a Clogged Sewer Line
There are a few things you can try to loosen any obstructions in smaller connecting pipes; however, it is unlikely you will be able to clear your sewer line. Some of these methods come with the risk of damaging your plumbing system, so it is always better to call a professional.
- Check your vent pipe: The sewer line will not drain properly if the vent pipe becomes blocked.
- Snake the Drain: Remove the bathtub drain cover and push the drain snake down the drain to break up the clog. If this works, the clog will be broken up and your bathtub will drain successfully.
- Call in the professionals: If your bathtub is still clogged, you probably have a bigger problem on your hands so call Eastern Plumbing. They will locate the source of the clog and they have the right equipment and know how to restore your home’s plumbing.
Here are the 5 most probable things that may be clogging your sewer line:
- Grease – Cooking oils, grease and fat are good at clogging drains.
- Hair – Drain flow may be stopped by the accumulation of hair in your pipes.
- Food – Chunks of food can gather in your sewer line, forming a blockage.
- Objects – Foreign objects such as bar soap bits, floss, jewelry and toys can cause blockage in sewer lines.
- Nature – Tree roots, dirt, rocks or rodents can clog your sewer line.
At the first sign of trouble, seek a solution to avoid costly or permanent damage. Call Eastern Plumbing and let us take care of it for you!