Teaching Kids About Plumbing
August 26, 2020
Teaching kids about plumbing is a great way for them to learn helpful skills like conserving water and other responsible behaviors.
At an early age kids are fascinated with water, toilets, and everything else they can get their hands on. Teach them what is and is not okay to do in the bathroom to help prevent plumbing issues in the future.
Kids should be taught not to flush:
- Toys – it’s okay to play with toys in the bathtub, it’s not okay to give the toys a bath in the toilet
- Wipes – baby wipes, cleaning wipes, “flushable” wipes
- Q-Tips – they are small, but they can still cause an obstruction in the pipes
- Dental Floss – it can snag into something and cause blockage.
- Hair – hair from the shower drain or the hair brush should go in the trash.
- Diapers – Kids who are learning to potty train should be taught not to take off their diaper and put it in the toilet.
Extra tip: As kids brush their teeth, make sure they keep the water off until they are ready to rinse, this helps the family conserve water and helps lower the utility bill.
Kids who are old enough to do dishes
Helping out can be fun and instills good habits early on. Make sure they know:
- What NOT to put down the garbage disposal (bones and grease.) You can put food such as pasta and pieces of veggies in the disposal, but in moderation. This means not a whole pot of pasta or whole carrots😊
- How to properly clean the dishes before loading them into the dish washer.
- To only run the dishwasher when full which helps save water.
Old enough to be home alone
Giving your kids independence also means giving them responsibility. When they are home alone, make sure they know how to:
- Shut the water off in case there is an emergency leak.
- Plunge the Toilet if it becomes clogged.
- Plunge the sink if it backs up.
Teaching kids to be independent and teaching them how to handle simple plumbing issues will be helpful for you now and in the future. We hope that you will never need us, but if you do, Eastern Plumbing is available 24/7 for all your emergency needs.