Plumbing Tips for Pet Owners
August 13, 2018
We love our pets! I mean after all, they are family. But remember, pets and plumbing don’t really mix (unless you’re talking about our beloved friends at the Eastern Plumbing office). You need to take special precautions if you are a pet-loving homeowner. So, to help you and your plumbing system out a little, here are six plumbing tips for pet owners.
- Use drain strainers in the tub or shower during bath time to help prevent clogs due to animal hair buildup. Just imagine all of that dog hair that accumulates on your couch. Now imagine that same amount of hair in your plumbing system – not a pretty sight. So, always use a drain strainer to prevent from having a slow and smelly drain.
- Another useful tip for pet bath time is to install a hand sprayer in your shower, if you don’t already have one. You will have better control of the water, which will make for a faster and better bath, and waste less water.
- The residue left behind from toilet cleaners can contain chemicals that are harmful for your pet to ingest. Be sure to keep your toilet lids closed at all time to prevent any four-legged friend from taking a sip.
- Never flush cat litter down the toilet, even if the packaging claims it to be “flushable.” Flushing cat litter increases your chances of getting a clog in your drains and sewer lines, especially if you have a septic tank. Trust us, this can be a messy situation. It is best to just throw everything away in the trash.
- Keep in mind that water and/or sewer lines can be found as shallow as 18 inches in your lawn, so watch how deep your dog digs in the yard – you wouldn’t want them getting their paws on something they aren’t supposed too.
- Pets love to chew, bite and scratch at things so be sure to cover any exposed pipes in your home. The last thing you want is an unexpected visit to the vet and unexpected visit from a plumber to repair a pipe.
However, Eastern Plumbing in Greenville and New Bern is here for you if you do have a pet-related plumbing uh-oh’s! Our expert plumbers have the know how to diagnose and fix any plumbing problem your furry friend manages to create. Give us a call today!